Friday, November 2, 2018

It's a-Belt Time

Okay, so I promise I got all of this stuff done before Halloween. But I was so busy finishing it and wearing it that I didn't have time to write up any posts! I'll make it up by doing a couple of posts rapid-fire now!

First up, the penultimate piece of my costume: the belt! I love making tablet woven belts. They're super strong, and it's pretty easy to make a complex pattern out of simple materials. Plus unlike most weaving, you don't need a fancy loom setup! To go with Aubrey's aesthetic, I found a tablet weaving pattern that looks like chains. I could've continued the red-and-black theme, but instead I went with blue and black. Sometimes we all need to mix it up! The pattern was very simple, so the band itself worked up quickly.


Neat, huh? The back of tablet weaving has a different pattern, but is usually just as polished as the front, so your belt can be reversible! Right now, though, my "belt" is just an unfinished band. I have a whole bag full of D-rings to make the buckle mechanism. All I need to do is attach them to one end and stitch across the other end so it doesn't fray!



Usually I do this by machine (it's faster, and the stitches are tighter), but I couldn't find a machine in time, so hand-stitching it is. I still think it turned out well! All that was left was to try it on.



Looks good to me. But no time to waste: onwards to the next component!

No comments:

Post a Comment