Monday, May 20, 2019

Mother's Day Magic

Okay, I think I'm back to my regular schedule for the foreseeable future. Thanks for bearing with me!

That's not what I'm here to talk about though. I'm here to talk about Mother's Day. You see, I happen to have a mother (a wonderful, supportive, intelligent, and kind mother to boot), and every year, I try to hand make something for her for Mother's Day. Sometimes it's a scarf, sometimes a hat or even placemats, but often, I turn to jewelry. I've been making beaded jewelry for her for a long time, you see, and so I'm rather practiced at making things she likes. Plus, I have approximately 100 million beads that need to be put to good use. After rummaging around in my collection, I settled on some beads that I thought would look good together.


First, these spiky translucent numbers. The holes are near one end, so they hang down like teardrops.


And second, these assorted lampwork beads. Most of them look different from one another, so they add a lot of interest and variety to anything they're a part of.


With those in hand, and a variety of seed beads, I got to work laying things out. I wanted something fairly simple, with only one string of beads, so it went quickly, and I was putting it together in no time. A little finishing with a clasp, and it was all done!


I think it has a bit of a fall feel with the warm colors and the leaf-shaped red beads! And fall is my mom's favorite season, so hopefully she likes it and wears it a ton!

In the same day, I also went ahead and made a couple other necklaces. If you're interested in my process for beading, I made notes of how I went about designing one of the pieces. So stay tuned and you'll see that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment