Saturday, August 11, 2018

Definitions


What is a craft?

I call this place Late Crafternoon, as a portmanteau of “Late Afternoon” (the time I feel the most creative) and “Craft” (the thing I do when I feel creative). But what actually is a craft? The Oxford Dictionary defines it as “An activity involving skill in making things by hand.” That certainly covers all of the basics that you think of as crafts - knitting, sewing, crochet, woodworking - but really, it includes much more. You could consider almost all "arts" to be crafts as well: painting and sculpting require tremendous skill and are made by hand. Why do we consider some a "craft" while others are elevated to the term "art"? 

I'm not a historian, sociologist, or linguist, so I'll leave it open-ended. To me, the distinction seems rather unnecessary. Arts, crafts, I love them all. Because of that, I'm going to start sharing more of my "arts" here, not just the things that reside safely within the realm of craft. I love to create, and that extends to ink drawings, digital art, even animation. So look out for more here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment