Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Batches of Patches

... I'm running out of patch-based puns, guys. There are only so many in the world.

Fortunately, I've finished my last patches! Looking from the first patch I made to the last few, I can definitely say I've improved. It's just like they say: practice makes perfect. As it turns out, you need a lot of patches to cover big lapels like the ones on my jacket, so there are nine new patches total! Here's a group shot:


I think I used up most of the ideas I sketched out when I started this project. Lots of random stuff that just seemed like it would go with Aubrey's style. The radioactivity symbol in particular is fitting!



And some more stuff that I thought looked cool...



Some of the patches came out better than others. Of course they did! That's the beauty of a handmade project is that there is variation in the stitches. I'm happy with most of these last patches, but I think the scarab beetle and bat wings are my favorite for how professional they look!



Or... they would be my favorite, if I could resist waving my nerdy little flag. Never mind that I'm already waving a huge nerd flag by making a cosplay from a podcast. I already paid homage to the first Adventure Zone arc, balance, with the Abraca-f*ck-you umbrella, but I couldn't resist making the Bureau of Balance insignia as well.



And since this is a podcast we're talking about, I wanted to give a nod to the first podcast I ever listened to. In high school, a friend introduced me to Welcome to Night Vale, and I systematically ate through the available episodes. The fun, spooky mood and unique humor of the show appealed to me so much, and showed me that podcasts could be something I really enjoyed! So of course, we need a Night Vale eye to complete the look!



And that's all she wrote for patches! I've filled up all the space on the lapels, so it must be done, right? It's not like Aubrey has a secret patch that proclaims her membership in an elite monster-fighting team... right?

Of course not. There definitely won't be a tutorial coming for anyone who wanted to try their own hand at embroidering a custom patch. So don't expect one.

...

You didn't see anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment