Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Project: Filet o' Diamonds

I wanted to work a filet mignon joke into the title there, but sadly it wasn't happening... oh well. Anyway, I think it's time I introduced you all to my current long-term crochet project:

(This is the sample photo from the website. I wish mine was already this long and pretty!)

The pattern is called Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend. I love the look of filet crochet, and you can make practically any pixellated design you like! As far as lace goes, it's pretty quick to work up, too. And that's a good thing for me because I decided to work with some really fine thread! It's mill end cotton thread that I got for dirt cheap in the form of a messy tangled hank. I wasn't sure that I'd even be able to wind it into a useable ball, but as you can see I managed to untangle it. You can also see that it's just a bit thicker than sewing thread, so I'm using my 0.75 mm hook. So tiny! The shawl is working up very slowly as a result, but it's so pretty with the fine lace that I don't mind the time. Right now I'm about a quarter of the way done:



If you're new to crocheted lace, filet crochet is an easy place to start. I wouldn't recommend sewing thread weight for the first time around, but do what makes you happy! If you're like me, it'll finally justify purchasing the cute super tiny hook!

Okay, one more closeup of those pretty diamond patterns:


Aaaaaaaand back to work for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment