Sunday, September 9, 2018

Pattern Review: Falling Water

I like making puns, and this pattern beat me to the punch! I had a skein of lovely bright turquoise fingering weight yarn from Mad Tosh that I needed a project for. The sensible thing to do would be to make myself a pair of socks, but socks are no fun. (Apologies to those who enjoy making socks). Plus then 70% of the pretty yarn would be hidden inside my shoes! No, I needed a project that let it all show, loud and proud! And I found that in the Falling Water scarf by Bonnie Sennot.

I'm a sucker for some lace, as I've probably demonstrated often enough, but I'm still not super well-versed in the ways of knitting. This pattern was a good compromise. It has a relatively simple lace pattern that is easy to understand and memorize, but the result is quite stunning. Take a look!


Isn't it pretty? The subtle variations in the yarn really emphasize the impression of waterfalls and flowing rivers. The scarf is just long enough for me to double up to wear, though of course with a repeated pattern like this, you can make it practically any length you like!

Cons are few and far between on this one. If you're looking for lace because you like to be challenged, this will be a little boring. The repeats are short, and so you need a lot of them to make a wearable scarf. And like any lace, it needed a good thorough blocking before the pattern could really shine, so don't work this pattern in a yarn that's hard to block. Other than that, it's a great little scarf pattern, especially for people looking for a first peek at lace!

No comments:

Post a Comment