Friday, October 19, 2018

The Other Kind of Lace

What else is there to do for my Aubrey costume? Let's consult my handy reference drawing (this is why we make one!):

According to the reference, I've got four parts left: fake piercings, belt, shoelaces, and Dr. Harris Bonkers (who hasn't shown up for quite a while in the podcast, but I still want him!). Of these, I think that the shoelaces are going to be the easiest. I already have crochet thread in red and other colors, I just need to braid some strands together to make it shoelace-thick!

Based on some preliminary experimentation, 6-9 strands of size 10 crochet thread is about as thick as your average shoelace. I tried to make a 6-strand flat braid, and it turned out really cool looking! It also took me an hour to braid 2 inches... yeah maybe not the route to go while I'm on a time crunch. Instead, I tripled up the strands and made a much quicker 3-stranded braid with black and red threads. The result is still pretty awesome, especially since the two laces aren't identical (one has two red strands and one black, the other has two black and one red):


But wait, how did I get those little plastic pieces (aglets) to put on the end of the laces? I wasn't terrible concerned with durability since this is a costume I'll wear intermittently (and replacing laces is pretty easy), so I actually used Scotch tape! I wrapped a few inches of tape tightly around the end of the lace, being careful to keep it from spiraling down the lace, and trimmed the end flush to the tape. A dab of superglue at the end keeps things from unravelling. 


It looks just like the real-deal, and honestly, it feels sturdier than I anticipated. I'll keep you all updated on how well it holds up; this might actually be a viable option for regular-use shoelaces if you want to make your own! Time will tell, though, so I'll refrain from making any more wild claims. Instead, here's the laces on my boots:




Snazzy! I really like this look, actually, and they're very easy to make. Assuming they hold up reasonably well, I might make a bunch of laces in different colors for everyday use! But that's an after-cosplay project. Three more pieces to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment