Thursday, December 27, 2018

Thanks (A Lot!)

It always seems like people fall into two camps when it comes to thank-you notes. Either they love them and spend lots of time finding or making the perfect card, or they think that cards are an outdated tradition and find the prospect of sending a physical note silly. 

Is it a surprise that I belong in the former category? I just think that the extra effort put into getting someone a card shows how you appreciate them and whatever they did. I don't exactly send thank you notes at the drop of a hat, but when I feel they're warranted, I want them to be special. 

I've had a lot of people to thank over the course of the fall, so a few notes were definitely in order! I could have gotten some at the store, but where's the fun in that? You can make your own cards just as easily, and make them personal to boot!


For someone I didn't know exceptionally well, I went with a safe, generic look. Calligraphy will always be a good choice for a handwritten note, and by spicing things up with little dotted accents, I think I made the card unique!


This next card, on the other hand, is anything but generic! The recipient of this particular card is a computer scientist, so I decided to play off of that theme. It's a bit backwards to hand-letter computer code onto a piece of paper, but I like the simple, nerdy result! The coding language I used for this is Java, if anyone is curious. 


I really can't resist an opportunity to be nerdy, so this last card also showcased it! This time, the recipient was a biochemist, so I had to draw a chemical structure. More specifically, this is an oligopeptide, made up of a number of amino acids in a chain. Since amino acids are each symbolized by a different letter, they can be put together to spell out words. Guess what this one spells!

Cards really aren't hard to make. All of these were made with only cardstock, markers, and pencils. If you have people to thank who are computationally or biochemically inclined, feel free to make your own versions of the cards above. Or, get creative with your own ideas! And even if you think that paper notes are outdated, be sure to thank the people in your life who help you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment