Saturday, December 29, 2018

You Spin Me Right Round

I enjoy making handmade presents for Christmas. To me, putting so many hours of effort into creating a gift yourself really shows how much you care about the recipient! That being said, when I make gifts, I try to stick to crafts that I'm well-versed in, so that the result will be professional and something the recipient will want to wear regardless of sentimental value.

That being said, there are situations that break the mold, and this year, I had one. Earlier in the fall, my grandmother presented me with a big ball of brown wool roving, knowing that I was trying to learn how to spin. She joked that I could turn it right back around on her and make her a present with it. I don't know that she really expected me to follow through, but by golly I was going to!

Like I said, I'm still trying to learn how to spin. I have a drop spindle, and while the theory of the craft makes sense, the execution escapes me a little bit. I did my best to produce a nice yarn, and then crocheted it up into a simple cowl that made the irregularity of homespun the centerpiece.



All it all, I'd say it turned out pretty well. The yarn is a bit inconsistent in size, but I suppose that gives the cowl a charming look! Plus, I know my grandma will be happy to explain the cowl's origins to anyone who so much as looks at it (in a way, the conversation starter is my real gift to her).

I have lots more roving lying around, so expect more spinning in the future! I may make a tutorial page for it eventually as well, seeing as I need the tutorials just as much as the next wannabe spinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment