Friday, September 28, 2018

A Well-Traveled Cow

Who doesn't want to see the world?

...okay, so I'm not much of a traveler. Vacations are paradoxically stressful! But I love to read and hear about other parts of the world, and I'm happy to say that I'm hosting quite the adventurous guest for a few weeks. Say hello to EDNA!


Yes, that's a cow made out of a sock. Her name is EDNA. This probably requires some explanation.

I've been a fan of the webcomic Stand Still Stay Silent for about four years now, and I've been a part of its fan forum for almost as long. At one point, one of the forum members, ginger, acquired a kit to sew an adorable cow from a sock. A few others suggested that this little cutie could travel to all the far-flung regions of the world our fellow forumites call home, and EDNA was born! She's been to so many countries now! East-coast US is probably not the most exciting of those locales, but it's a good thing she's making a stop with me, because her next destination is a wedding! And she needs something nice to wear, doesn't she?

I'm not accustomed to freehanding a pattern, but there weren't exactly published patterns on Ravelry sized to fit sock cows. So I just started to crochet a tube out of thread, varying the stitches as I saw fit to give the emerging dress a little texture.


I was going for a bit of a 20's flapper-dress style (because who isn't excited for it to be the 20's again? I know I want some of that fashion to be back in style!). So just a little flare at the bottom, with some strategically placed spiraling holes for a little added interest. All that was left to do was to add some straps, and EDNA had a custom-made dress!


She looks awfully good in it, too!


But that's not all. EDNA also has a variety of coins from all the countries she's visited, along with a cute purple bag to hold them. The thing is, she's been so many places that the bag is now too small! I decided to make her a new, bigger container for all her keepsakes:


What's the best storage for a gal on the go? A backpack!


Now EDNA's all decked out and ready for her next adventure! But first, let's do a photoshoot with her in all her new stuff. The trees are just starting to change color and....


...And it's rainy and miserable. Right. Well, an indoor photoshoot is just as good!

Bovine fashion is going to be all the rage next season, you guys. I'm calling it. But this cow here is an adventurer first and foremost, and she's ready to go forth into the world yet again. So long EDNA! I hope to see you again someday!


No comments:

Post a Comment