Saturday, January 12, 2019

Frankenmittens

Ahhh, it feels nice to be back on a weekly schedule. I don't know about you, but I like a steady stream of crafts in my diet. And in the winter time, those crafts are mostly suited to the cold.

To be honest, I made these mittens a few months ago in preparation for winter. I've had so much other stuff to show you, though, that I haven't gotten around to photographing them until now. These are the creations that I've affectionately christened the Frankenmittens.




...Okay, so maybe the name isn't obvious. They're not green or patchy. They don't even have a bolt sticking out of them! The reason that I call them Frankenmittens is that they're actually an amalgamation of two different patterns. I really liked the cable pattern on these Dwarven Mittens, so I started out knitting those. The only problem? Well the pattern is.... okay I'm just going to be honest here, it's kind of terrible. The instructions weren't clear at all, and even as I was trying to figure them out, they didn't look like they'd make a very nice mitten shape. The only thing that was good about it was the cable chart. I frogged the project. I should really just find another pattern.

Ohhhh but I really liked that cable chart.

So I did a stupid thing. Not a stupid thing in general, for an experienced knitter who's made enough mittens to know her way around a thumb gusset, mind you. But I am not an experienced knitter. I've knitted exactly one pair of mittens in my life. You could  count the number of knitting projects I've completed on your fingers. It would not be advisable for me personally to, say, combine two separate patterns to make my ideal mittens. But I'm not one to wait around for crafty qualifications, am I?

So I went ahead and did it. It would probably be easy for people with experience. I did not find it so easy, but I did do it! I used the base pattern from the SyƤnamaa Mittens that I made last winter, because I liked that pattern quite a lot back then. And I have to say, it worked really well! They're warm, they fit well, and they look nice to boot! I'm glad I took a chance making my Frankenmittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment