Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year

Welcome 2019! To all three of you who read this blog, I hope your years will be filled with happiness! I myself am already starting this year off pretty happily, because I have a new craft!

How long has it been since I picked up a new craft? Five minutes? Ah well, there's a near-infinite supply of them to get through, so let's get started! The craft to kick off the new year is (drumroll please)... linoleum block printing!

It doesn't involve yarn or fabric. Shocking, I know. But I've always enjoyed the aesthetic of woodcuts and other relief carving techniques, and linoleum printing seemed a good place to start. Linoleum is softer than wood and doesn't have a grain, so it's easier to carve. So I got myself some tools and a bit of art-quality linoleum. The only thing left to do was to find a design to carve. But whatever could I do? I thought and thought, coming up empty handed with each Pinterest dive.

And then, inspiration conked me on the head like a giant, geodesic, LED-illuminated ball. I could make New Year's cards.

I've never sent Christmas cards, simply because I know not all of the people I'd be sending them to celebrate Christmas. But everyone I know uses the Gregorian calendar! And a new year seems like a good time to send well wishes regardless of religious observation. So I set to work.


First, I sketched out my design. I went with something relatively simple, since it would be my first ever linocut! I figured that the stars could be either separate stamps or sequins or something. Of course, this isn't exactly a reusable design, either. Ah well, let's live a little and go for it! I transferred the design onto the linoleum by rubbing the pencil marks into the linoleum with the back of a spoon.

Spoons: surprisingly useful crafting tools.

Next, I had to cut it out! For block printing, you use gouges of various sizes: I started with the smallest size and worked my way up. It was tougher to cut through than I imagined, but I managed in the end!


The pattern on the block itself is reversed, which is particularly apparent with words. But that will make the print itself come out right. Which is a good reason to draw a design on paper first, rather than directly onto the linoleum!


As you can see, the cuts don't need to be that deep. The linoleum itself is only an eight of an inch thick, after all (it's mounted onto a block for ease of use).


First print! And it looks pretty darn good for a first print. There are still some areas that need to be carved out more, but the ink stains all the pieces it makes contact with, so stray marks are easy to correct. Then, I was ready to print on cardstock! I decided to use assorted random sequins to create the stars. And the beauty of block printing is that I can make prints in a bunch of different colors! These are a few of the results.





They'll soon be on their way to friends and family across the country, and I hope they'll enjoy the handmade sentiment. It's far from perfect, but then, no new year will be perfect either! And maybe I can make another print for 2020, to show how much I'll improve!

1 comment: