Sunday, January 27, 2019

Back to Lace

You all know I can't stay away from lace for too long, right? It's so pretty and delicate and interesting to look at... I might be in love. Which is good, because I have at least five lace/fingering weight projects lined up, and plenty more on the wishlist.

The only problem with lace is the time it takes to make. So many stitches to make! Which means that if I want a lace item for a particular event, I really have to start early. As it happens, just such an event will be happening this spring.

I'm not going to share details because it would give away my location (and I'm not keen on letting everyone who can access a webpage know where I live), but come late spring, I'll need a yellow shawl or other accessory. I don't happen to own many yellow things, so I sensed a prime opportunity coming my way. I could certainly make myself a yellow shawl, couldn't I?

I knew I had to start as soon as possible, so shortly after New Year's, I found a pattern and got to work. There are a whole host of lovely shawl patterns to be found online, and after some deliberation, I went with the Frosty Apples Shawlette by Lyubov Shalnaya. I've never made a crescent shawl before, so I thought this might be a good introduction. Some new techniques, some beading, lots of pictures and charts to direct me. Here's my progress so far!



These top-down shawls start out so tiny!


But it gets wide pretty quickly! Took me quite a while to get to the end of the plain stockinette section.


Pro-tip: always use lifelines. Seriously, I put this in before I started the lace pattern and was almost immediately rewarded, as I messed up the first lace row and was able to rip back with no trouble whatsoever.


There are two lace charts in this pattern: the border and the edge. The border is the transition between the stockinette base and the edge lace, and as of right now, that's the part I have finished.


Lace doesn't look like too much when it's all scrunched up like this, but you can sort of get a feel for the pattern's shape (if you squint). It's almost magical when it all blocks out! But that's a ways away still.

I'm determined to get this project done with time to spare, so expect to see it again soon! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment