Tuesday, February 27, 2018

TAZ Cosplay: Patchy Reception

Who doesn't love a good embroidered patch? The designs are nearly endless, and you can put them on so many things to add a personal flair. I figured that Aubrey might like to add a little (or a lot) of her own personality to her jacket, so I've decided to deck out the lapel in patches.

Because I'm both a fan of DIY and of budgets, I thought I'd make my own. I got a rainbow pack of embroidery floss for ~$6, and a few sheets of black craft felt for another ~$1.50. That plus an embroidery hoop (mine is super cute and small!) and a few needles is really all you need. Well, that and a design! I want to fill up the entire lapel with embroidery, so I started brainstorming patches based on what I knew of Aubrey's style. (And I added a few of my own favorite things and references to the first arc of TAZ for good measure!) Here's my brainstorming page:



I've been adding steadily to it as I come up with more ideas, so perhaps some more patches will make it on the list! The Pine Guard patch is special, since it's actually explicitly referenced in the podcast. (I was so happy when it was introduced since it fit so well with my plan!). I'll be hiding that one under the lapel so that I can do some dramatic reveals with it.

Well, looks like I've got a lot of work to do! This will probably be the most time consuming aspect of the costume to make, so I'd best get started. Time to brush up on my embroidery skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment