Thursday, February 1, 2018

TAZ Cosplay: Glove of my Life

I'm a bit of an impatient person, so I decided to start this project with the materials that I had at hand. Rummaging through my fabric bin turned up about a yard of black knit polyester fabric, just what I had in mind for a pair of gloves. Making a simple pair of gloves with stretch fabric is really easy: just trace around your hand, add a bit of seam allowance (how much depends on the stretchiness of the fabric) and sew! I wanted the gloves to be half-full, half-fingerless, so my pattern ended up looking like this:


I don't have access to a sewing machine at the moment, so I opted for hand stitching the gloves. In some ways it was preferable, since the slippery knit fabric would be a pain to sew by machine. I did a quick test glove since I had fabric to spare, and I'm glad I did, because the moment I tried it on:


Rrrrrrip! Giant runs opened up down the length of the glove, since I had forgotten to do anything to the raw edge. This is why we test things before committing! Upon review, I decided that I rather liked the look of the runs: it fit with the punk-y style of the outfit, and so I revised my plans. Instead of embroidering alchemical symbols onto the back of the gloves, I would let them run a little, and then secure the runs so the gloves didn't completely unravel. Then, I would fix the raw edge with an overcast stitch, so that new runs wouldn't form so easily. 

Oh, and I made one more alteration to the two-fingered glove design, since I was already going punk:


Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment